shot in the dark | RH 7.3 | python & up2date

Thu Dec 5 12:50:30 EST 2002

Much of RedHat 7.* relies on having python 1.5.2 (for all its scripts)

The "standard" practice is to install python 2.2 as python2 to cope
with this.  Starting with RedHat 8.0, they _are_ using python 2.2, so
you could simply move up to 8.0 if that is an option.