Adding static typing to Python

Michael Chermside mcherm at destiny.com
Tue Feb 19 08:56:03 EST 2002

Peter Milliken:
 > When I compile a Ada program cleanly I know that 95% of the bugs
 > are out of it - before I even start testing! :-)

Brian Quinlan:
 > I would say that 99% of my bugs are due to design mistakes [...]
 > or semantically incorrect algorithms[.]

Jason Orendorff:

> I have added a sys.excepthook in the Lib/site.py file
> on the PC where I do most of my work.  It logs uncaught
> exceptions (except in interactive mode).  In a week or two,
> I should have some real numbers to share.
>
> Obviously this is a crude and subjective measurement,
> but it's better than (ahem) nothing.

Jason:

Yes... it's WAY better. Thanks for running the test, and I eagerly await
your results!

Furthermore, the experiment might be better if several people joined in.
  I, for one, will volunteer to run with this hook for, let's say, 2
weeks (or whatever time period seems right) and contribute my results --
if there are other experimental subjects I'll even offer to be the one
who compiles the results.

Sound good? Send me a copy of the hook you wrote and I'll try it.

-- Michael Chermside