15 minute presentation on python?

Joshua Muskovitz joshm at taconic.net
Mon Feb 25 17:51:36 EST 2002

> > If you had to give a 15 minute introduction to Python, what would you
cover?
> > What is a good example of a simple, but useful, text-based app for a
Wintel
> > environment, that has good "wow" quality?
>
> Who is your audience? What is their background and what types of things
> would they like want to do with a computer?

They are the tech faculty for the local tech school.  It is meant to
demonstrate my ability to teach (something).  I have some ideas, but was
looking for a few suggestions.  I expect that I won't be able to determine
the expertise of the audience until the last minute, so I'm trying to come
up with a few different levels of topics, and I'll pick one when it happens.

I think that something demonstrating lists, tuples, and dicts will impress
people who are technical (can program in some language) but haven't seen
python before.  Ideas which specifically show successively more complicated
things by adding a few things to the (evolving) source is really the ticket.

Maybe writing something like wc, then perhaps an indexer (using a dict to
construct a list of references, then producing pretty output).  Hmm...  I
think I answered my own question.

Other suggestions are more than welcome.

--
# Joshua Muskovitz
# joshm at taconic.net
def lyyrs(sig): return '-'.join(sig.split()+["ly y'rs"])
lyyrs('Hire me!  I need the work!')