Stackless Platform Independence?

Frederic Giacometti frederic.giacometti at arakne.com
Fri Feb 22 23:06:02 EST 2002

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at comcast.net> wrote in message
> [Christian Tismer]
> > As you might have noticed, Stackless has changed quite
> > much:
> >  - Platform independence is gone.
>
> [Christopher Browne]
> > I hope not...  I would hope to hear that "platform indepedence has
> > _ARRIVED_"
>
> No, he meant what he said.  All the good changes are bought at the cost of
> needing some platform-specific assembler, to transform the platform C
stack
> from an Insurmountable Obstacle into just another piece of manipulable
> state.

Then, one could also deal with the reason of why Christian has had to come
to that point.

I am personally still surprised that stackless has not be considered more
seriously in the python-dev group, especially in regard to the threading
problems and limitations of the current python versions.

Yet, a stackless python would open many possibilities and new application
areas; and would be a quantum improvement on the core engine of a different
substance from all what has been seen since Python 2.0.

Frederic Giacometti