a portable text user interface ?

Fredrik Lundh fredrik at pythonware.com
Mon Feb 11 05:41:18 EST 2002

J.Jacob wrote:
> > the api is relatively clean; writing a curses implementation
> > should be trivial (did most of that once, but lost the code).
>
> The link you give has a link to a "downloads page" and that one gives
> me a 404.

oops.  this link should work better than the one on
that page.

    http://effbot.org/downloads/

> What we really want is something portable in the Python distribution
> itself and i think many more people would love it.  Especially for
> programming projects in schools.  But i am not sure how to ask for it,
> maybe at the sourceforge Python site under "Feature Requests"?

I suggest writing a small, preliminary PEP.

    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/
    http://python.sourceforge.net/peps/pep-0001.html

(it's probably a good idea to post it here as a "pre-PEP" before
submitting it to the PEP editor).

Try keeping the interface small and simple  (I'd implement a sub-
set of what's provided by the Console module, but that's me.  No
MoveCursorToRowAndColumn methods, please ;-)

</F>