Status of PEP's?

Bjorn Pettersen BPettersen at NAREX.com
Thu Feb 28 13:53:14 EST 2002

> From: Courageous [mailto:jkraska at san.rr.com]
>
> >  for i in len(mylist):
> >
> >Creates an iterator over the indices in mylist.
>
> I just don't think so. It would be better to have something
> which behaves slightly more like a classic for form. This
> could almost be achieved by some sort of first class range
> object thusly. In fact, one might even use slice notation:
>
> for i in [0:len(mylist):1]:
>
> ... where the stride is optional of course.

And exactly this notation has been rejected in PEP 204 -- basically
because it's butt-ugly in a Perl'ish sort of way. Besides, this goes
under the section of solving the "interval" problem which PEP 276
*explicitly* says it is not doing (and which I personally don't find
very compelling, especially if PEP 276 is adopted).

-- bjorn