FSF award to...

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Sun Feb 24 14:52:49 EST 2002

Geert-Jan Van den Bogaerde wrote:

> For the curious, it was awarded at FOSDEM (Free Software and Open Source
> Developers European Meeting) in Brussels (Belgium) just a few hours ago.
> In fact, I just got back from there.
>
> Guido was there to receive the award (though I don't think he's actually
> giving a talk at FOSDEM unfortunately).
>
> RMS commented that he personally has not used Python, but has been told
> it is a very good language, and that it incorporated many elements from
> LISP.

>From the release:
"""
   The selection committee included: Miguel de Icaza, Ian Murdock,
   Eric Raymond, Peter Salus, Vernor Vinge, and Larry Wall.
   [...]
   Guido van Rossum was chosen from three finalists for the award.
   [...]
   The prior winners were Larry Wall, Miguel de Icaza, and Brian Paul.
"""

So will Guido be on the selection committee next year?  ;-)

-Peter