Extremely Newbie wants to program and pleads to be pointed in the right direction

Chris nospam at [127.0.0.1]
Wed Feb 27 10:05:01 EST 2002

In the olden days I played around with BASIC
just for fun, writing trivial games and making patterns move on the
screen.

Can I do that sort of thing with Python?

I've at last got a new machine, running XP Home.
Will this be OK?
Or would it be wiser to use my old 200MMX?

Before I start wrestling with Python - and with thinking - and with
making my brain hurt - is Python the best language for this sort of
play?
Would Java be better?
Will I be able to make a ball bounce around inside a box etc.?

Please be gentle!  I'm not a rocket scientist - but rather just an
ordinary bloke who's really quite interested in how computers work and
who would like to edge sidelongly towards greater technological
intimacy!
--
Chris