Scripting C++ -- Boost.Python vs CORBA vs ???

Craig Maloney cmaloney at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Feb 26 12:57:57 EST 2002

Craig Maloney wrote:
> Hi David.
>
> Since I'm not a "computer guy" per se, I was wondering if you could
> clear up some more of my confusion.  I don't know much about how
> compilers work, but I would presume that any compiler (eg g++) would
> create some internal representation, similar to the .cil file, after
> parsing but before compiling.
>
> Presumably the EDG front end is geared toward producing this information
> in a format more suited to being used by the "wrapper generators" in contrast
> with a compiler which produces this information only for itself and with
> the sole goal of compiling an object file?
>
> What I'm getting at is that I'm confused as to why people wouldn't have
> used information from the compiler *itself* to automate the process of
> wrapper generation.  Obviously the compiler writer people would have to
> collaborate with the wrapper generator people... but there must be technical
> obstacles?
>
> Cheers,
> Craig

Actually, after doing a little more digging, I found this:

http://public.kitware.com/Cable/
http://public.kitware.com/GCC_XML/

Does anyone know anything about this project?

This is what I would have guessed would be the "right" way to go about
things (having known nothing about the EDG front-end).  Presumably gcc
gets the parsing right if it can compile ;)

What do people think?

--Craig