Hosting

Magnus Lyckå magnus at thinkware.se
Thu Feb 21 09:32:00 EST 2002

William Park wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 20, 2002 at 03:51:24PM -0800, Kevin Dahlhausen wrote:
>
>>Does anyone know of an inexpensive web host that allows compilation
>>and use of Python extensions from  your own directory?
>
> With the money you pay to ISP, why don't you get DSL with static IP, and
> run your own server?

I don't know about your part of the world, but I have an
ISP account with my own domain, telnet etc, not too bad, that
I pay about $12 per month for.

ADSL here is about $30 in the cheapest version. That will not
include a static IP, maybe you won't even be allowed to use
a server. Don't really know.

I'm lucky enough to just pay $20 for a 10Mb connection where I
live, but I can't get any static IP address at all, and I'm
not allowed to have a "server" in my end (which is a bit silly
since they allow me to upload stuff all the time with 10Mb, which
all that the ethernet delivers. In the discussions we had, they
said they were planning to offer "server licences", and they were
to cost $100 per month.

I talked to someone a while ago who had SDSL with 10 ip adresses,
and he paid $200 per month.

My ISP, www.fsdata.se has Python 2.1.2 installed, but unfortunately
they don't have mod_python or mod_snake, and they don't allow long
running processes. I'm not sure that they are interested in customers
outside Sweden though...