SSL problem with Python (NEWBIE ALERT)

Jeremy Hylton jeremy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 13 16:23:40 EST 2002

"AJ" <a-no-space-here-weberr at verizon-dot.net> wrote in message news:<kbua8.895$t83.126513 at paloalto-snr1.gtei.net>...
> Can anyone tell me why this is suddenly occuring?  It seemed to work in
> previous runs.  It's the ipcheck.py script on:
> http://ipcheck.sourceforge.net/.
>
> I'm told it's probably a corrupt Python library.  Does anyone know how to
> troubleshoot this further, and/or how/which library I should re-install (and
> where to get that lib)?  If I run the script with the flag to use non-ssl
> connections it works fine...but who wants to be sending username/passwords
> over the net in the clear???
>
> Thanks in advance for any assistance!
> --AJ
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "ipcheck.py", line 4083, in ?
>     _main(sys.argv)
>   File "ipcheck.py", line 3663, in _main
>     h2.putrequest("GET", updateprefix + hostlist + updatesuffix)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/httplib.py", line 437, in putrequest
>     self.send(str)
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/httplib.py", line 379, in send
>     self.connect()
>   File "/usr/local/lib/python2.1/httplib.py", line 639, in connect
>     ssl = socket.ssl(realsock, self.key_file, self.cert_file)
> socket.sslerror: SSL_connect error

>From the traceback, it looks like you are using Python 2.1.  The SSL
support in Python 2.2 is improved in a number of ways, including bugs
fixed and much better error messages.  If you can upgrade to Python
2.2 and try again.  At the very least, you should get the SSL error
message that explains exactly what wen t wrong.

(And if you're already using Python 2.2, I guess the improved error
messages aren't as improved as I thought :-).

Jeremy