encapsulation, typing & other questions

Mark Jackson mjackson at wrc.xerox.com
Thu Feb 7 14:21:47 EST 2002

Ragu Bharadwaj <ragu at daylight.com> writes:

> 3. Are there plans to include method & variable encapsulation in the
> object models in python? The answer I've heard is that since it's
> possible to overcome encapsulation by long or dirty ways, it isn't worth
> it. But my comeback is that if one sticks to the rules while coding,
> this won't happen and the resulting gains are worth it.

Python's technique for "encapsulating methods and variables" should be
good enough to eliminate accidents.  They are probably easier to
overcome intentionally, but "if one sticks to the rules while coding
this won't happen."

So unless you're planning on exclusively employing programmers smart
enough to subvert Python, but not smart enough to subvert
your-B&D-language-of-choice, I don't see an issue.

	Back in the Sixties we didn't have video games and the
	Internet.  All we had was drugs and naked people.
					- Scott Bateman