OT: (ambi)dexterity of Pythonistas

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Mon Feb 11 13:28:44 EST 2002

On Sat, 09 Feb 2002 14:24:06 +0000
Jonathan Hogg wrote:

> On 9/2/2002 0:56, in article
> mailman.1013216835.14351.python-list at python.org, "Cliff Wells"
> <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Aahz Maruch wrote:
> >
> >> I have to admit that I'm seriously thinking about an iMac, though.
> >
> > Yikes.  That's an expensive Linux box ;)
>
> Hah! all smileys aside, you'd have to be mad to run Linux on it when it
> comes with Mac OS X and all of Apple's free iApps. I get to run
commercial
> applications including the Adobe and Microsoft range, it's got full Java
> support, runs all the UNIX apps I need including Apache, Python and
> PostgreSQL, and is fun to use.

Can't argue with that.  I suppose if I were to shell out for a mac I might
use OSX.  I was only joking anyway.

> Stuff cygwin, there's no comparison when you have a full BSD under the
hood.
> And when Linux runs Photoshop, MS Office, IE, and Palm Desktop, I'll
> consider using it as my main work OS.

Yeah, I've never been too happy with cygwin.  That's what you get when you
try to get GNU under Win32.  The opposite approach is much better. Running
win2k under VMware 3.0 is flawless, so I can in fact use all those
applications (and more).  It was a little sluggish on my PIII 800 with
128MB, but on my new Athlon XP 1700+ with 256MB you can't tell it's running
in a VM.  _Very_ snappy.  Of course, the main point is that my system cost
< $1000 (including a 17" Trinitron monitor).  Do that with a Mac (all
smileys aside).

The only Apple product I've seen in many years to make me a bit jealous is
the iPod.

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)

"Then with your new power you'll accomplish all sorts of cool stuff
 in no time, and We'll All Be Sorry.  At that point you can either
 gloat a bit, and then relent, or go ahead and send the robot army
 after us." - Quinn Dunkan