help - inserting values into database tables

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Feb 18 08:28:17 EST 2002

"Paul Rubin" <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote in message
news:7xpu33myrc.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com...
> chajadan <python at chajadan.net> writes:
>
> > Yes, this is altogether possible.
> >
> > There is a module include in the main distribution called odbc, and
> > one called dbi.
>
> Whaaa?  That's the first I've heard of this.  In Python 2.2 under Linux,
> "import odbc" and "import dbi" both throw ImportError.
>
> There's an ODBC module in Vaults of Parnassus that looks pretty good, but
I haven't
> tried it yet.  Is that what you meant?

The dbi and odbc modules are only available, I believe, with the win32all
extensions, so you can't expect to see them on Linux or other Unixoid
platforms.

Since Joe was asking about a Microsoft Access database, however, this may be
enough for him. On Linux/Unix you can use DB driver modules directly, or
(non-commercially, without cost) Marc-Andre Lemburg's mxODBC module, though
you'll have to install an ODBC driver manager for that to work. I seem to
remember you can use either unixODBC or iODBC.

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py