ActiveX Questions

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Mon Feb 18 23:56:44 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff Shannon" <jeff at ccvcorp.com>

> Michael Kelly wrote:
> >
> > Out of curiosity, did they give you a type library
> > with the control?
>
> This is important.  As I understand it, without a type library, pythoncom
> has no way of knowing which params are [out] params.  Since Python doesn't
> have reference semantics like those of C++ or Visual Basic, it cannot use
> [out] params in the "normal" way.  So if you're using an interface that
> makes use of [out] params, you *need* the type library in order to be able
> to use it from Python.  If you're not sure whether you've got one, try
> Makepy, as suggested...

Type libraries have a .tlb extension normally, correct?  The ZIP contains
ReportOcx.lic, .lib, and .ocx; I'm a novice at Windows and had to be banged
on the head before I put the .lic and .ocx together in the SYSTEM folder.
I did register the OCX using REGSVR32 as noted on several websites, and I
ran makepy from the Pythonwin menu as I have in several other instances.

Have I missed anything?

The source files are not available (it's a form of shareware, where you pay
for source access) so I can't build a type library even if I knew how.

I should just go back to Linux where everything makes sense...