JAR equivalent in Gordon McMillan's Installer

Paul Moore gustav at morpheus.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 16:34:22 EST 2002

On Thu, 14 Feb 2002 17:56:11 +0000, Robin Becker
<robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>well his .pyz is a compressed archive form and I have been using it to compress the entire
>python library. All that's required is a special importer to allow imports from such an archive
>to work. I believe that the archive is allowed to contain data files as well so provided you
>alter the open/read you can at least consider doing that.

Hmm. Looks more messy than I'd hoped. Needs a bootstrap module, and then
extra hacking to handle open/read. And I guess the fact that I'm doing
this manually means that there's not much chance of something like a
wxPython toolbar "just working" with icons stored in the archive.

I guess it's not worth the hassle.

The reason I liked the Java approach, BTW, is that a complete
application comes in a single file, which you can just double click on
and it works. Nothing to unpack, put it anywhere you like, run off a
floppy/CD/zip disk, no dependencies (other than needing Java installed).
But it's just a convenience thing - not enough to endure writing all my
code in Java :-)

Nice to keep an eye on what the competition can do, though...

Thanks for the explanation,
Paul.