AttributeError: 'getopt' module has no attribute 'GetoptError'

Travis Shirk travis at puddy.lan.kerrgulch.net
Thu Feb 14 18:48:12 EST 2002

Karl M. Syring <syring at email.com> wrote:
> "Travis Shirk" <travis at puddy.lan.kerrgulch.net> schrieb
>> Gustaf Liljegren <gustafl at algonet.se> wrote:

>> > Oh. Yes, it is... Thank you.
>>
>> I'm having the exact same problem as Gustaf, and
>> my program is *not* called getopt.py.  Anyone know what the
>> the AttibuteError is all about?

> There is not accidentally a file getopt.pyc laying around?

Well actually, there is.  I'm running Red Hat 7.2 and I've
got python and python2 rpms installed.  My script starts
with '#!/usr/bin/python', but when I change it to python2,
I don't get the AttributeError when the exception is caught.

<sigh>

I thought that python and python2 knew not to step on each
others toes, evidently I was wrong.  I'd rather not hardcode
'python2' into my script, but I guess I have no choice.

I've not followed the python 2 development closely, but is
there any reason to keep 1.5.x installed?

Thanks for your help.