Why Python is like BASIC (and why this is a good thing)

Jason Orendorff jason at jorendorff.com
Sat Feb 16 21:30:42 EST 2002

Roy Smith writes:
> Why people are still teaching or using basic today is beyond me, since
> there are so many better alternatives.

Well, there must be reasons.  Here are my guesses.

1.  BASIC is the most popular programming language of all time.
    A lot of potential teachers don't know any easy languages
    *except* BASIC.

2.  Most Windows boxes have a BASIC implementation lying around.

3.  BASIC is very easy to learn.  In my experience with
    non-programmers, BASIC is easier than Python.  There's less
    to learn.

## Jason Orendorff    http://www.jorendorff.com/