Tkinter and grid: strange alignment with and without sticky option

Dr. David J. Ritchie, Sr. djrassoc01 at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 20 11:24:41 EST 2002

Yes, I see the same thing.  My Python version is:

Python 2.1.1 (#97, Aug  2 2001, 21:53:31)  [CW PPC GUSI2 THREADS] on mac

The Tkinter is the one that came with the Python on the CDROM for
O'Reilly's "Learning Python"
as is the copy of Python.

Running a slightly modified version of the original poster's example
listed below,
I find that the non-sticky red Listbox is horizontally
misaligned by a small amount (probably 1 pixel)
from the following non-sticky
Entry box, the sticky blue Listbox
and the sticky Entry box.
---

from Tkinter import *

def main():
    root = Tk()
    Listbox(root, width = 20, relief = RIDGE, font = "Courier",
        bg = "red").grid(row = 0)
    Entry(root, width = 20, relief = RIDGE, font = "Courier") \
        .grid(row = 1)
    Listbox(root, width = 20, relief = RIDGE, font = "Courier",
        bg = "blue").grid(row = 2, sticky = W)
    Entry(root, width = 20, relief = RIDGE, font = "Courier") \
       .grid(row = 3, sticky = W)
    root.mainloop()
    return
if __name__=="__main__":