Recommendations for cross-platform GUI Bindings ?

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Thu Feb 14 07:58:31 EST 2002

"Steven M. Castellotti" <SteveC at innocent.com> wrote in message
news:xBMa8.217$B92.52511 at news.xtra.co.nz...
> Greeting all--
>
> I'm writing an Open Source software application that allows children
> create their own video games, and would like to hear anyone's
> recommendations for GUI bindings. The key things I'm looking for are:
>
>  - Cross Platfrom (I need to run on at least Linux and Windows, though
> Mac would be great if possible.)

Have you looked at either tkinter or anygui? Tkinter is availible and
mature on all platforms you suggest, and anygui has the stated
purpose of being both cross-platform and simple.

>  - Compiles to something easily executable (Ideally can be run from
the
> web, or can at least be wrapped by an installer)

Anygui is completely python, so it should execute anywhere
that python will. It will use the native GUI in most cases (I believe
they have put using the Mac Gui on the back burner for now, however).

Likewise, Tkinter has wide distribution, and should run most places
that python does.

>  - Has good Image/Graphics routines
>

>  - Is well supported (Online documentation/examples are available, or
at
> least an active mailing list. I don't want to get stuck coding for a
> target the dissapears after the developer gets bored)
>
>  - Uses Python or python-esqe syntax.
>

> So far I'm looking at:
>
> Java 1.2 (Using Jython)
> Java 1.4 (Using Jython)
> pyGTK
>

> Java 1.2 is nice because most current web browsers support it, and
Swing