Defending the Python lanuage...

Peter Milliken peter.milliken at gtech.com
Mon Feb 4 16:53:27 EST 2002

"Jeff Shannon" <jeff at ccvcorp.com> wrote in message
news:3C5EE7C2.4DF4A885 at ccvcorp.com...

> Peter Milliken wrote:
>
> > G'Day Cliff,
> >
> > "Cliff Wells" <logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > news:mailman.1012590723.7301.python-list at python.org...
> > > On Fri, 01 Feb 2002 08:29:42 GMT
> >
> > > I much prefer the "continuous ongoing code review" idea better than a
> > > formalized procedure (if I understand what you mean by it correctly).
> > > Working in pairs provides this as a side-effect rather than having a
> > formal
> > > procedure for code-review and seems less time-consuming overall.
> > >

> > Not sure what you mean by "continuous ongoing code review". I used to be
> > "team leader",  .....
>
> I hesitate to speak for others, but...   I'm going to stomp right on in
anyhow.
> :)
>
> I believe that the "continuous ongoing code review" being mentioned is in
> reference to the Extreme Programming practice of pair programming -- all
code is
> written jointly by two people, sitting at the same computer.  Thus,
everything
> is, in effect, being reviewed by the other person as it's being written.
This
> should (in principle ;) ) greatly reduce the need for formal group
reviews...
> though I expect they'd probably still be desirable regardless.

Really? What an unusual idea - I didn't realise we had such a surplus of
programmers to advocate something like this :-)

Actually, it is just another attempt at fixing the same old problem. I have
no problems with trying new techniques such as these but at the end of the
day, if good old fashioned reviews are done properly (and in a timely
manner! :-)) then you would achieve the desired effect i.e. solid, robust
code. If the individuals involved approach the problem with the correct
frame of mind then I have never, ever seen inspections/reviews fail! It is
only when it is not tackled with the right sort of commitment that it can
appear not to work.

I get somewhat frustrated sometimes when I look at yet more attempts to
solve the same problem when I believe there are already workable solutions
(this will, I am sure be disputed :-) but is only a statement based upon
personal experience :-)). I think it is most likely the lack of
self-discipline (in programmers, not themselves) that caused the authors to
look for alternative methods - also, the fact that they needed something new
to write about otherwise they wouldn't be able to publish a book! :-) I must
admit that in a weak moment, I purchased a copy of Extreme Programming, I
read it on the train one evening (not the whole book! :-)) and saw enough to
make me put it where it is now, on my shelf gathering dust :-).