Inconsistence syntax in os module?

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at larsshack.org
Tue Feb 5 00:50:42 EST 2002

Howdy all,

I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the os module, in particular
with its implementation of the system() and popen() calls.  The
traditional (e.g., libc) implementation of both of these calls spawns a
/bin/sh process to run the command, with the associated problems of
shell metacharacter interpretation, the cost of an extra fork(), and so
forth.

On the other hand, the popen2 module (and thus, at least on unix, the
os.popen2(), os.popen3(), etc. functions) will also accept a *list* as
the command argument.  In this situation, the command is exec()'d
directly, without the intervening shell (since we no longer need the
shell to perform tokenization for us).

Rewriting system() and popen() to be consistent with popen2() and
friends is trivial, especially if one writes the implementations in python.

Is there a reason why the stock implementation differs in this fashion?

Thanks,

-- Lars