Python Gotcha with Octal Numbers

Steven Majewski sdm7g at Virginia.EDU
Wed Feb 13 15:56:32 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002, Emile van Sebille wrote:

> > -- Steve "the reformed packrat" Majewski
> >

> Is there a step program to reform?  ;-)
>
> desperately-seeking-anything-ly y'rs,

Step 1: Move to a smaller house. While sorting, packing and triaging
        get a significant other to keep repeating: "Where are you
	going to put it all!" ( If you can't find anyone, I'll ask
	my wife if she'll hire out. )

Step 2:	Keep repeating to yourself, as you throw out piles of magazines
	and journals: "I wonder if I can get this all on CD-ROM?"

Step 3: Remember: the Web, Google/deja-news, the internet wayback
	machine, ...  You can probably find it on the web faster
	than you can find it on paper!  Visit the library and
	remind yourself that there are people who get *paid* to
	keep all this junk. (But STAY AWAY from any books by
	Nicholson Baker!)

Step 4: Some used book stores (at least here in C'ville!) will come
	to your house with a truck, sort through your books for
	what they want, haul it away, and WRITE YOU A CHECK!
	I got almost $1,000 ... AND I STILL HAVE TOO MANY BOOKS!
	(and now I get to visit them at the used bookstore, and
	 sometimes, ransome a dearly departed one back again! )

Step 5:	Find people who actually want the stuff to give it away to --
	it feels better if you think it's going to a good home.

Step 6:	Rather than just dumping it all in the trash, I encourage
	you to make at least one trip to the dump or landfill
	yourself -- the impressive pile of STUFF is inspiring!

Step 7:	Tie some of your possessions to yourself with rope and/or
	chain and drag them around with you for a couple of days.
	Start using your car as an office.

Step 8:	As soon as you get confortable enough in the new house to
	start accumulating and filling it up again ... MOVE TO A
	NEW HOUSE ( actually, we're planning on moving back to the
	old house again next year. )

Step 9:	If all else fails, consider moving into a van or mobile home,
	or just taking to the road with everything on your back.
	Moving *really* far away might also be a good idea -- I gazed
	longingly at the jobs in Sweden on the bulletin board at
	Python-10! (although my secret dream is to move to Kabul and
	open the first skate park in Afghanistan, but I've been
	unable to talk my 14 year old son -- who's the one who actually
	knows something about running one -- into the adventure.)

Step 10: Did I mention moving ? If you can't move to a different
	house, just try swapping rooms: Piles grow when left to sit.

Step 11: There is no step 11!

Step 12: Memorize and delete this message! (Your computer's disk
	is filling up at this very moment. )

-- Steve