Defending the rodent (was Re: Defending the Python lanuage...)

Jacob Kaplan-Moss jacobkm at cats.ucsc.edu
Mon Feb 4 01:19:25 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1012606383.28987.python-list at python.org>,
James_Althoff at i2.com wrote:

> Of course, if Douglas Englebart had had his way, this would all be moot.
> Englebart -- who invented the computer mouse -- didn't like moving his hand
> off the keyboard either.  So for his famous NLS system he devised a
> one-handed "chording" keypad on which he typed (all characters) using his
> left hand while manipulating the mouse with his right.  Decades later he
> still maintained that this is *the* way to do it.  :-)

Have you ever tried a chording keyboard?  It's absolutely amazing; I can
type about twice as fast on a chording keyboard as I can on a QWERTY one
(although I probably couldn't now -- I haven't used one for years).

Jacob (who now wants to get his circa 1990 serial chording keyboard to
work with his palm for taking notes in class)