I wish.............

Michael Chermside mcherm at destiny.com
Mon Feb 11 11:12:55 EST 2002

 > .....that we quit calling Python as CPython.

I wish that we would use the term "Python" for the LANGUAGE that Guido
invented (with some help from other folks). We could then use the term
"CPython" to refer to the most popular implementation (in C), and
"Jython" for the next-most-popular implementation. For perl there is no
need for such a distinction -- the language is so poorly defined that
the implementation effectively defines the language and makes it
practically impossible to create another implementation.

However, most of the time when people say "Python" meaning "CPython"
there isn't any confusion, so I don't really mind. But using the terms
properly helps people keep in mind that things like Jython (and Pippy,
and a few other implementations out there) exist, and are important
parts of the Python community.

-- Michael Chermside