Python 2.2 on windows 98

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Feb 21 16:55:20 EST 2002

"Magnus Lyckå" <magnus at thinkware.se> wrote in message
news:3C74E31A.1000203 at thinkware.se...
> M.-A. Lemburg wrote:
>
> > The egenix-mx-* packages should compile out of the box
> > using cygwin, not sure about the other extensions.
>

> That's great. I guess what I was trying to point out was
> that normal windows installs for python modules are unlikely
> to work with cygwin. And this will cause some inconveniences
> (and confusion if you aren't aware of the problem).

This is true to an extent. But certainly Marc Andre's modules do compile on
cygwin - licensing conditions mean they can't be distributed in pre-compiled
binary installable form. And MySQLdb also compiles. I'd like to see every
Windows-capable module run under both: it turns out you don't usually have
much to do to make the same extension install under Windows and cygwin.

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py