distutils/package installers on windows

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue Feb 19 13:58:12 EST 2002

"David Bolen" <db3l at fitlinxx.com> wrote in message news:u1yfiz5yu.fsf at ctwd0143.fitlinxx.com...
> "Thomas Heller" <theller at python.net> writes:
> > I'm currently working on an bdist_wininst enhancement which takes an
> > additional command line option (--install-script <script.py>).  This
> > script would then be run (with sys.argv set to [script_name,
> > '--installed']) after all the files have been copied, and it would
> > again be run (with sys.argv set to [script_name, '--removed']) just
> > before the deinstaller is about to remove all the files and
> > directories.
>
> Sounds like just the ticket.  I suppose it could still be a little
> tricky to arrange the OPs request of shortcuts unless you could assume
> the Win32 extensions would also be present, but still plenty of
> flexibility.

The prototype I have just now runs the (post)installation/(pre)deinstallation
script in an environment where another buildin function is available:

create_shortcut(path, description, filename[, arguments[, workdir[, iconpath, iconindex]]])

This function is implemented in the bdist_wininst runtime - win32all
extensions not required (for this case).

Thomas