distutils/package installers on windows

sameer sameer_ at email.com
Sat Feb 16 05:55:51 EST 2002

Here's the situation:
I have a python package (or two) to be installed on a windows machine
(for now) which has python installed.  I am using distutils to create
a windows installer which installs my python packages just fine.  Now,
I want to also create some shortcuts on the Desktop as well as the
Start Menu.  As of now, distutils doesn't allow me to do either of
those things.  What are my options here to do either or both of these
things.  Can the distutils package be modified easily to provide this
kind of support on windows?  Or is there another python package
available that would allow me to create the desktop and Start Menu
shortcuts?