Coming of age...

Martijn Faassen m.faassen at vet.uu.nl
Mon Feb 11 20:50:45 EST 2002

Paul Prescod <paul at prescod.net> wrote:
[snip slashdot reference]

Noticed the same thing.

> This is one more datapoint over a few I've collected in the last few
> weeks that somehow Python has crossed some kind of line from being a
> "like to try it someday" language to an "everybody cool is using it
> these days" language. Despite waiting for this moment for several years
> I am somewhat, er, nervous about what this means for the future...

> Be careful what you wish for.

The benefits do in my opinion outweigh the disadvantages. While
comp.lang.python is terribly busy these days, I don't think it's grown
as quickly as the use of Python itself, so it's still useful/interesting.

The advantages are that it's now much easier to use Python in projects,
sell Python based solutions, meet other Python users, hire people who
know Python, and so on. And there's just far more Python
based stuff out there that we can share.

Another interesting thing the other day is that on comp.object someone
was asking which language they should try to experiment with OO, and
there came lots of suggestions to use Ruby (Python was in there, but Ruby was
mentioned a *lot*). Seems that language has been crossing a barrier
as well recently.

Regards,

Martijn