RFC -- HYGIENIC MACROS IN PYTHON

Justin Sheehy justin at iago.org
Tue Feb 5 11:06:14 EST 2002

Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> writes:

> I am currently experimenting with an implementation of hygienic macros
> in a custom Python parser as part of a larger experiment.

Seems like a fun experiment, but I'm not sure where I think it ought
to end up.  Some languages (such as Scheme) have a clear need for
user-defined forms.  Python, both in structure and culture, does not
seem to be crying out for macros.

You are clearly aware of this; the reason I'm bringing it up is that
I'm not sure what the point of the experiment is.  If it is really
just an experiment on the nature of macros, declaration, whitespace,
etc., then I think it's great that you're doing it and am interested
in the results.

As far as a more practical purpose, though...  I don't see it.

-Justin