HTTP redirector/load-balancer ??

Thomas Weholt thomas at gatsoft.no
Fri Feb 1 04:51:23 EST 2002

As a follow-up to my earlier posting "Simple threaded web-server based on
BaseHTTPServer" I'd like to know more about how people think the problems
discussed in the mention news-thread could be solved. I've worked with
java-based Enhydra earlier, and its Director ( a load-balancer tool. ). If I
run several BaseHTTPServers, preferrably on different machines, and had a
redirector/load-balancer that took each request and sent it to different
servers each time, possibly having some sort of priority related to each
server so that if traffic got high, the best servers could process more
traffic while slower servers got fewer requests etc, would this be a
solution? Even if I just run several instances of the same server, on
different ports on the same machine and the redirector sent requests to the
server-instances in turn?

What I'm getting at is; what is the problem with threads ( I know the
concept of threads, how to use them, what they do etc. , but not the
technical implications of them as implemented in Python) ? Is it that they
don't scale well if run by the same process? Would running several instances
of a server solve this if we had some sort of redirector to send requests to
different servers each time a request was handled?

In closing; have anybody made a web-server load-balancing tool in Python I
could use to test this ?

Thanks for everybodys input in my earlier posting.

Best regards,
Thomas Weholt