Contributing patches (was Re: urllib and proxy)

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Tue Feb 26 10:16:56 EST 2002

Andy Gimblett <gimbo at ftech.net> writes:

> Earlier on today I posted to this list a modified urlopen() which
> supports proxy specification.  How do I go about suggesting this as a
> modification to the standard python library?
>
> I've seen these:
>     http://www.python.org/download/cvs.html
>     http://www.python.org/patches/
>
> and they seem to suggest that I can just use my existing SourceForge
> account and submit a patch to the patch manager, and I presume then
> someone examines it, decides if it's a good thing or not, and checks
> it in or rejects it?

Yes, more or less.  It may take a while to get noticed, I'm afraid.
There's also the quite likely step of being asked to modify your
patches in some way before they go in.  There can be quite some
to-and-fro-ing on the tracker.

> Is this how it works?

More or less.

> Just thought I'd ask here before blundering in.

Blunder away!

Cheers,
M.

--
  Famous remarks are very seldom quoted correctly.
                                                    -- Simeon Strunsky