Defending the Python lanuage...

David Bolen db3l at fitlinxx.com
Fri Feb 1 18:54:09 EST 2002

Alex Martelli <aleax at aleax.it> writes:

> If you have to *think* about it, as "memorization" would suggest, then
> you'll probably be happier going with the rodent.  The power of vi, for
> me (and most other vi-enthusiasts I've known) is that the *fingers*
> learn the patterns -- sort of like in needlepoint; your conscious brain
> can focus on higher-abstraction stuff.  (...)

As an Emacs-die-hard, I'll also agree strongly with this.  The way I
like to put it is that I touch type Emacs editing commands nearly as
quickly as I touch type normal text.  Most of the time, I'm rarely
even conscious of the mechanics of achieving an edit - rather I know I
want to "move that line over there" or something, and my fingers just
perform the right operations.  And whether it's vi or Emacs, I find
not having to leave the home keys and reach for a mouse (with all the
associated eye hand coordination involved) is an enormous time saver
for most editing tasks.

--
-- David