OT again... is there an IMAP expert in the house?

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Tue Feb 5 01:51:58 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eduardo Chappa" <chappa at math.washington.edu>

> *** Chris Gonnerman (chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net) wrote in...:
>
> :) Urrr... it doesn't solve my problem. Maybe IMAP isn't the solution
> :) either.
> :)
> :) The customer(s) I am trying valiantly to support want to be able to
> :) share a mailbox *concurrently*. The Mercury and UW servers don't seem
> :) to work that way. I haven't studied the protocol so I don't know if it
> :) is even possible.
>
> This is not a problem about the protocol you are using to read your
> folder. IMAP is the way that you communicate to the server. The way that
> the mail is stored in the server is the relevant point here. For example,
> the default for the UW server is unix, and unix (format) does not allow
> concurrent access to a mailbox. If you use the UW server, and you use mbx
> format, then you can have concurrent access to your folders. Convert your
> folders to mbx format and you'll be done.

Tried that, didn't work.  I was using Netscape 4.75 as one client, Outlook
Express as the other, and concurrent deletion (even with expunges) just
didn't work.  Outlook Express never seemed to notice Netscape doing
deletions,
and I couldn't get Outlook Express to properly expunge without closing it.

Like I said later, it seems to be a client problem.