What's the equivalent in Python for Perl's CPAN?

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Fri Feb 8 15:10:15 EST 2002

Mike Carifio wrote:

> The closest thing I seem to be able to find is ActiveState's Package Manager
> (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePython/more_information.plex).
> Is this what I should use or is something else preferred?
>
> So, what's the equivalent in Python for Perl's CPAN?

Well, if you'd tried searching Google's archives of this newsgroup, you'd have
doubtless found the answer, as it's been discussed many times.  (You'd probably
also have gotten better responses to a question phrased as "is there?" instead
of "what is?", especially if your message had actually *had* a body (even if it
was simply a repeat of the subject line), but...  ;) )

The answer is that there *is* no direct equivalent.  Yet.  There's a project
underway (Siphon... or was it Ciphon?) that has more-or-less the same
functionality as CPAN, but it is, IIRC, still in testing, and has a very limited
selection of modules uploaded.

Of course, the other problem with duplicating CPAN, is in finding sites to host
that network of mirrors....

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International