Backwards Compatibility of Python versions

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Mon Feb 4 18:52:37 EST 2002

In article <7xg04gon8f.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>,
Paul Rubin  <phr-n2002a at nightsong.com> wrote:
>aahz at panix.com (Aahz Maruch) writes:
>>Paul Rubin, who doesn't know how to use attributions, wrote:
>>>
>>>  a) If I put together a 1.5.2 bugfix release and submit it, will it go
>>>     up on Python.org with a link on the front page like the current
>>>     1.5.2 link?
>>
>> In theory, yes.  In practice, you'll have document your work so
>> carefully that it probably won't be worth it.  I don't think anyone will
>> commit to making such a release available in the absence of existing
>> work to be submitted.  Have you read PEP 6 yet?
>
>That's ok, it's just a theoretical question.  The other question
>was whether a 1.2.1 bugfix release would also go up, since 1.2 is
>not linked from the front page now.  Versions from 1.5.2 to 2.2 are
>currently linked from the front page.  Versions older than 1.5.2 are
>not.  That reinforces the impression that 1.5.2 is still current while
>versions like 1.2 are ancient history.

This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice.  I don't see any point in even starting
a discussion about 1.2 until someone proves that zie is willing to start
*and* finish the job of creating a full 1.5.2 bugfix release.  (Note that
the release would likely be called 1.5.2.1 to make it compatible with the
PEP6 naming system.)

Finally, you have been told several times that your notion of "current"
is just plain wrong.  You're free to keep using your idiosyncratic
definition, of course -- but we're also free to ignore you.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"The more you drive, the less intelligent you are."  --_Repo Man_