encapsulation, typing & other questions

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Fri Feb 8 07:39:44 EST 2002

Design Patterns in Python are a joy to write and use.  But please
buy a copy of the Design Patterns Smalltalk Companion so your code
does not end up as 'Thinking in C++, transliterated into python'.
Python is incredibly more expressive than that.

But everybody brings the poison of the last language they were working
with to python, which is accomodating at lets you write 'that language
in python.'

And your python patterns should end up more like Smalltalk ones than
like C++ ones if you are doing it right.  It will feel really good
when you get it to start happening.

Take what I say with some salt though -- I am trying to overcome
a tendancy to think in Smalltalk rather than in Python.

Laura Creighton