Zope cookbook?

djmitchell djmitchell at optushome.com.au
Mon Feb 11 03:53:23 EST 2002

Is anyone working on a Zope cookbook, or know of one that already exists?

I'm pretty comfortable with Python (+ Perl, VB, C++, Java/J2EE, ...) and
building Web apps in general, but making the leap to Zope seems pretty
tough due to an apparent lack of "here's how to do simple, common task X"
type of documentation.  I've got an app where a Zope solution looks like a
perfect fit, but churning out code feels like pulling teeth - I'm agonizing
over every line, and convincing myself there's easier/simpler/faster ways
to do just about everything.  I'm also finding myself reading through other
peoples' source code almost constantly - usually enlightening, but a REALLY
slow way of learning.

I've give a specific example of one thing I need to do: I want to build
something analogous to an ActiveX control or a JavaBean, that can be used
to input a date.  It needs to check for valid data being input (e.g. no
"31-February-2002"); I might want it to be displayed using some cute DHTML
if the browser is IE6, or maybe something dumber/simpler like pull-down
text boxes if the browser is Netscape 2; it might also need to only accept
dates in a certain range (e.g. between "12-January-2002" and
"15-January-2002") that I specify; it might need to display a default date;
based on the user's geographic location, I might want entered dates to be
displayed on screen as "15-January-2002", "15-1-2002", "2002-1-15", or
"1/15/2002".  It needs to be a logical "function" that I can call from
within an HTML form, and assign the (validated) date entered by the user to
a variable of some sort.  Ignoring the distinct possibility that I might be
able to download exactly this "ZopeBean" from somewhere, I'm sure there's a
"normal" way of coding this within Zope (DTML method?  Python script?), but
I just don't know where I should be looking.  Oh, and I don't want to
resort to either ActiveX or Java to get the job done ;->

Any tips, pointers, advice, useful sources of info, etc.?

Thanks in advance

Dave Mitchell