help in converting c code needed

Jason Orendorff jason at jorendorff.com
Mon Feb 11 17:15:41 EST 2002

maximilianscherr wrote:
> can anybody help me convert this c code to python:

Well, actually it's C++.  And one or two pieces are missing.
But sure.

First, use zlib instead, if you can.

>>> import urllib   # ...just so we have something to compress
>>>
>>> data = urllib.__doc__   # a big string to play with
>>> print len(data)
955
>>> zd = data.encode('zlib')
>>> print len(zd)
522
>>> data2 = zd.decode('zlib')
>>> print len(data2)
955
>>> assert data == data2

But if you really have to do this, then you can pretty much
translate this code line-for-line into Python.  But many little
changes are needed:

  - Turn pointer variables into index variables
  - Turn "pdest" into an array, and don't make the user pass you
    an empty array as an argument; create one automatically instead.
    (By "array", I mean this:
     http://www.python.org/doc/current/lib/module-array.html )
  - Don't require a src_size argument; you can just do len(src)
  - Instead of "--x" you must do "x -= 1"
    and so forth.

If you don't know C or C++, you have little chance of getting
it all exactly right.  Get a friend to do it.  :)

## Jason Orendorff    http://www.jorendorff.com/