Java vs Python ... ???

James_Althoff at i2.com James_Althoff at i2.com
Fri Feb 15 14:52:54 EST 2002

[Steve Orr]
>For instance, with the Oracle Application Server (not the database)
>you supposedly can have all your Java apps load balanced "for free"
>without having to write load balancing code. So I was wondering the
>other day, since Jython compiles to bytecode, will it run under
>applications servers (such as Oracle) and enjoy the same Java
>features those servers provide?

[Jim]
>Yes.

[Steve]
>Thanks but could you make your answers a little more brief. :-)

Si.

<wink>

As Jython is in some sense "just a Java program" -- it (Jython, that is)
being written entirely in Java -- a Jython "program" is really just an
ordinary Java program that happens to read in text files with .py
extensions and happens to use a lot of the Java reflection API.  So
assuming some details like the fact that Java security has to be set up to
enable the writing of files (normal for Java applications) your Jython
programs can run in J2EE containers just like any Java programs can.  And,
yes, this is a *very* nice feature of Jython.

Jim