what I would like to see in python to make a better "glue" language (Newbie)

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Feb 26 17:15:01 EST 2002

anthony_barker at hotmail.com (Anthony_Barker) writes:

> Very Important:
> 1. LDAP module should be included in the base distro. Active Directory
> is already available via com (nice)

Adding modules is typically a two-stage process. First, a specific
module should establish itself as the monopoly implementation on a
certain field. Then, it can be considered for inclusion in the
standard library.

If you have any specific LDAP module in mind, I'd expect, as a
prerequisite, that it is a distutils package. That should make
installation very easy, and open doors to inclusion in "foreign"
distributions. E.g. Linux distributors may include it. Also, there
always was the plan of a Sumo distribution which includes all packages
that atleast build successfully - volunteers to make this come true
are still needed.

> 2. DNS really should be included in the base library, I emailed
> Anthony Baxter and he replied, saying it was almost done.

I completely agree.

> 3. Telnet Library is great - including an SSH module would be a nice
> addition.

This is not trivial. To my knowledge, there is no SSH library that you
could link. I don't know how difficult it is to implement a SSH module
on top of OpenSSL.

> 4. Include an SNMP implementation, there are several around, but a
> pure python one as a library would be nice

All such libraries are quite large, right? If so, chances for
inclusion in the standard library are low, since I expect the user
community for such a library is quite small. Nevertheless, bug the
maintainers of those libraries for distutils support.

Regards,
Martin