certification (Brainbench)

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 15 14:43:46 EST 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 14:01:49 -0500
Dr. David Mertz wrote:

> |"Trung Hoang" <thoa0025 at mail.usyd.edu.au> wrote in message
> |> i was wondering if i can get certified with python from an
> |> internationally recognised company?

> That said, the original question was from someone who wanted a
> certificate.  You can certainly take the Brainbench exam, and get a
> piece of paper out of the process.  There's not necessarily a need to
> forward my criticisms to your potential employer :-).

But then, how many certificates are really worth the paper they're printed
on?  They don't make good candidates better and they don't screen the poor
ones.  In short, they do nothing but generate revenue for companies who
issue certificates.

My personal feeling is that employers who demand these certificates are
usually the type who demand that projects be developed using "standard"
tools, i.e. whatever tool they've heard a lot about or gotten a press
release on.  If they don't want to hire me because I don't have a
certificate then I don't want to work for them because they haven't got a
clue ;)

I guess maybe certifications *do* work in some sense: they help me screen
retarded employers ;)

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)