Python License Issues

christoforou at gaaros.com christoforou at gaaros.com
Fri Feb 15 05:23:38 EST 2002

Thanks for the comments

First some clarification ...

There was no intention whatsoever to suggest that the PSF should be
modified in any way and I believe it is clear in the post.

Indeed we have hired IP lawers but until they figure it out I decided to ask
the python community hoping that other python companies/developers who might
have encountered similar issues have come up with a clevel solution.

What worries me is that the 'legal climate' of our times will hurt open
source acceptance and small soft shops in general. For it seems to me that
the recent escalation in legal actions against third party IP infringments
are driving coorporate clients to seek indemnity from IP violations. In
their (reasonable) view the cost of software is:

 Cost= ActualCostOfApplication
+(ProbabilityOfLegalActionRelatingToApplication*SettlementAmount)

The higher the second part of the equation the less important the first part
becomes and certainly a small development shop cannot provide the level of
indemnity that IBM can.

>>> from BasicUtilities import deleteFromGlobalConsiousness
>>> deleteFromGlobalConsiousness(category='SoftwarePatents',level='Total')

Pavlos