OT: (ambi)dexterity of Pythonistas

Jonathan Hogg jonathan at onegoodidea.com
Sat Feb 9 16:36:01 EST 2002

On 9/2/2002 16:29, in article a43ipn$s37$1 at panix2.panix.com, "Aahz Maruch"
<aahz at panix.com> wrote:

> My Apple-pushing partner told me that MacAddict says that G3 isn't
> sufficient for running OS X.  I guess you feel differently?

A couple of friends and I were swapping timings the other day and we got
this table for a 'make -j2 all' of Python plus all the Mac modules:

   What         CPU        Time
   ----------------------------
   iBook        600Mhz     7:23
   TiBook       500Mhz     6:27
   G4       2 x 800Mhz     3:32
   G4       2 x   1Ghz     2:45

which seems to suggest that a G4 is about 40% faster clock-for-clock than a
G3 running a fairly mixed task. All the OS X eye candy is optimised for the
Altivec unit in the G4, so it generally feels snappier.

But still, I've got three iBooks ranging from 300MHz to 600MHz and all run
OS X well enough for me. The main thing that OS X loves is RAM - it just
can't get enough of it.

> The other
> thing is that Apple's notebooks have traditionally been no more reliable
> than PC notebooks, but the first generation iBooks were built like
> tanks.  How true is it of the current generation?

There's no comparison between my two white iBooks and my old orange
warhorse, but the new ones still feel pretty solid. They're very rigid in
comparison to something like Sony's ultraportables (polyurethane case and
magnesium frame) and the drive is rubber mounted. I had to send one back
after the latch broke, but generally I'm pretty happy with them.

> Also, the screen sizes aren't exactly the same, but I'd say that 14.1"
> is probably better for 1024x768 than 15" (I'd want 1152x864 for the
> latter).  Looking at the Apple web site, actually, I think I'd just get
> the 12" screen and use one of my existing external monitors at home.

Sorry, I meant in terms of pixels rather than inches. I had a quick play
with one of the new 14" iBooks in a shop, but having used the 12" one it
feels out of proportion. The screen on the 12" is very very sharp and really
quite beautiful to use. Unless you have difficulties with such a high
resolution, I'd stick to the 12" one (though the 14" one gets a bit longer
battery life).

I think the new iMac is a lovely piece of kit and, compared to Apple's pro
machines, very good bang for buck. I just find the ability to work anywhere
much more compelling.

Jonathan