regular expression help

Bernhard Herzog bh at intevation.de
Thu Feb 28 05:56:15 EST 2002

Skip Montanaro <skip at pobox.com> writes:

>     Drew> I'm having some issues doing a small but irritating regular
>     Drew> expression match.
>
> As Jamie Zawinski said probably more than once on comp.lang.emacs (and
> Fredrik Lundh has reminded us here):

There is no comp.lang.emacs :) At least not on google. The posting was
on comp.emacs.xemacs and alt.religion.emacs

>     Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
>     regular expressions".  Now they have two problems.

The quote is correct, though:
http://groups.google.de/groups?selm=33F0C496.370D7C45%40netscape.com

The two pragraphs preceeding the quoted one in JZWs posting are also
interesting:

  The notion that everything is a stream of bytes is utterly braindead.
  The notion that regexps are the solution to all problems is equally
  braindead.

  Just like Perl.

:-)

   Bernhard