Web Hosting - one report

Kevin Dahlhausen kdahlhaus at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 08:03:35 EST 2002

Time for the weekly where-can-I-cheaply-host-pythonic-web-app posting.

I thought I had found a place at 'Hostdepartment.com'  $5/month for
100Mb and a full shell. They have 1.6 installed.  You can compile your
own python, but many modules do not build.  It turns out that they
have disabled dynamic loading of modules from user accounts.  So if
you have a swigged extension, python can load any shadow files, but
the .so is never found.  That's a shame, as I was hoping to actually
post an *answer* to this reoccuring question.  Personally, I need to
be able to use extension modules - at least PIL, GD charts, etc.

(I was quite annoyed when after 3 days of notices that my trouble
ticket was being looked at, a message came that said 'your ticket is
completely resolved.  you cannot load dynamic modules from user
accounts'.  That's explained, not resolved.)

Anyway, so that's one report.  Has anyone found one of these
inexpensive providers that allows you to use your own native-language
extension modules?