box on soap

Chris Tavares christophertavares at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 10 14:38:13 EST 2002

"Fredrik Lundh" <fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote in message
news:Lli98.24849$l93.4538901 at newsb.telia.net...
> Mark McEahern wrote:
> > Don Box on the Importance of Being WSDL
>
> David McCusker on the Importance of Ignoring Don Box:
>
> http://www.treedragon.com/ged/map/ti/newFeb02.htm#06feb02-box
>
> (I'll just give you a summary. I won't argue.  David's right
> and Don's wrong ;-)
>
> </F>

Don hasn't shipped an actual product in years, so his perspective is a
little odd. Being a professional training celebrity will do that to you. :-)

Actually, there *is* one advantage to having WSDL that isn't about enforcing
contracts - having WSDL around will let you build better tools. Codegen of
proxies & stubs. Better IDE integration. Web services "browsers". These are
all things worth having, I would think. It doesn't need to be WSDL
specifically, of course, but *some* sort of interface definition needs to be
around. WSDL is a baroque mess right now, but it will get better.

-Chris