Oddity question

Mariano Corsunsky core.lists.python at core-sdi.com
Tue Feb 26 12:31:45 EST 2002

Hi there!

I was fooling around with sockets last night, using a thread to deal with the read part and another method to do the print.

like this:

def thread_read (self):
  while 1:
    self.buf=self.buf+self.my_socket.recv (8)

def print_buf(self):
  if buf:
    print "bufeer-->",buf
    buf='""

But, what happened to me was that the -buf = ""- line seemed to be not working because I got outputs like this

buffer->a
buffer->ab
buffer->abpleasework
buffer->abpleaseworkpleaseflush!

So, I dont know why I changed thread_read function to:

  while 1:
    aux=self.my_socket.recv (8)
    self.buf=self.buf+aux

And this version worked properly..... but I still do not know why. To me, I've only split the line in two, using an auiliar variable... but THAT made the trick!
why?
 WHY?
   W H Y?

(thanks for answers)