[Tutor] unrelated bug issue

Mats Wichmann mats at laplaza.org
Mon Feb 25 14:37:01 EST 2002

On Sun, 24 Feb 2002 01:00:59 -0500, Tim Peters <tim.one at comcast.net>
wrote:

:[Lloyd Hugh Allen]
:> So I tried Ruby for a bit, got frustrated by their ide and figured that
:> I'd try it later in a proper linux environment since the windows version
:> seems to be (I think, anyway) built on CygWin. When I uninstalled Ruby,
:> IDLE stopped working (no message--just didn't start. Command line python
:> worked fine). Turned out that this was because Ruby had put a few lines
:> in the autoexec.bat, one of which said "please use the Tcl library in
:> the Ruby directory", which no longer existed. Cleared out the
:> autoexec.bat, now Python works again. Is this a Python bug (ie, should
:> Python tell the user that the Tcl library doesn't exist or at least give
:> some sort of feedback), a Ruby bug (that the uninstaller didn't clean up
:> after itself), or both?
:
:I got a better one:  suppose you shoved a banana down your throat, then a
:carrot in each nostril.  Would it then be the banana's or the carrots' fault
:that you couldn't breathe anymore?  That's right:  it would be the carrots',
:because you didn't have any trouble breathing before they wound up in your
:nose.  Or maybe it was the banana's fault after all, since if it weren't
:there, the carrots' presence wouldn't matter.  It's a puzzler.  Just so long
:as it's clear that it's never ever your fault <wink>.

Maybe it's the fault of <insert-appropriate-entity-here> who designed
your body for not providing a robust protocol for fruits and
vegetables to register themselves when they're being inserted in an
orifice, and which other fruits and vegetables could check before they
insert into other orifices to make sure the coast (or windpipe) is
clear, as it were.

Applications that muck with autoexec.bat are likely products of
satan.org anyway.

Mats Wichmann