Adding GUI to application

Mark Gash mgash at trisystems.co.uk
Wed Feb 20 11:14:04 EST 2002

Hi,

I have written an application that will check the percentage free on
the local harddisks and compare against a predetermined level.
The application is written purely for Win32 and uses the performance
monitor modules to extract the disk information.
The level is set by using a parameter within an ini file.
If the level is exceeded, a mail is sent to the administrator.
Once the comparison is made (and mail sent as required), the process
then goes to 'sleep' for 2 hours.
The process then wakes up again, and the comparison repeats.

The application is confirmed as working as required.

I wish to amend the application so that (i) it runs as before, (ii)
there is an icon in the taskbar, via which the application can be
stopped.

As a newbie to programming, I am finding this task difficult, to say
the least. The problem that I am having, is that by using the
win32gui_taksbar.py from the win32/demos module, I can get the icon
down in the taskbar - but as the diskchecking application 'goes to
sleep' rather than completes/exits, the control is never returned to
the win32gui_taskbar to await the next interupt.

I feel that this change will have to be multi-threaded, but as I have
said, I am a newbie to programming and am 'drowning' whilst trying to
complete this.

Full code listing can be sent/attached if required.

Many Thanks for your help in advance.

Mark Gash
mgash at trisystems.co.uk